Every morning I have the same routine while getting ready for work. If for some reason I am ahead of schedule I can squeeze in making myself a refreshing smoothie or a bowl of cereal. But to be honest, my breakfast usually consists of grabbing any handful of food I can or a few swigs of juice and running out the door. I know, I know, you're shaking your head saying, "But Robin, breakfast is the most important meal of the day!" I get it! Which is why I decided making homemade granola bars would be a perfect idea to give me an extra boost in the morning! Enjoy!
- 2 ½ cups Rice Krispies
- 2 cups quick oats (regular rolled oats work too)
- ½ cup additional mix-in ingredients, optional- I used finely chopped almonds and chia seeds
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Combine dry ingredients - Rice Krispies, Oats, & additional ingredients - in a bowl.
- In a saucepan, mix the honey, brown sugar and salt. Over medium-low heat, stir until the mixture comes to a complete boil for 30-60 seconds.
- Remove from heat and stir in the peanut butter and vanilla until smooth.
- Pour over the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes before mixing in the chocolate chips.
- Press into a greased 9×13 pan and let cool before cutting into bars.