Thursday, October 27, 2011

Starvation

[This is an older post that I am bringing back to life! ]

 

starvingpresent participle of starve (Verb)

1. (of a person or animal) Suffer severely or die from hunger.
2. Cause (a person or animal) to suffer severely or die from hunger: "for a while she had considered starving herself".

In my first years of college my friend, and sophomore year roommate, would correct me when I used the word starving. She would always state, "You are not starving, you are hungry." At the time, I kind of blew it off and just said "yeah" with an eye roll. I didn't understand the depth or meaning of the word starvation.

After spending a few months living in Ghana, Africa I understood exactly what my friend was trying to say. I had never seen somebody starving until I was surrounded by a community deprived of food. I worked at a school for disabled children. These kids would eat anything and everything around. Innocent, a boy who stole my heart, looked at me with a mouth full of something and a smile so big. Although, I did not understand their language, I smiled with him and talked to him about how I was happy he had found food. Out of his mouth he pulls a used sanitary pad. The moment scars me. Not because of the disgust of what he was eating, but more so because of how starved this child was. These children are sick with high temperatures and dying from starvation and limited clean water supply.

You might roll your eyes at this or think nothing of it. I understand that. But...

Next time you think you're starving (suffering or dying of hunger)....think again. Chances are you are just hungry.

hun·gry/ˈhəNGgrē/Adjective

1. Feeling or displaying the need for food.
2. Having a strong desire or craving
                                                        [Innocent & Kokuvi]

8 comments:

debbiecutieface said...

hey thanks for commenting on my blog! This post is so touching. Wow.

LindsayNicole said...

Thanks for the comment! look forward to following your blog

Wida said...

This is a very true post. Thank you for this! I will think about that now every time I'm hungry!


Wida
Missing Amsie Blog

KY said...

Oh my goodness - this post definitely found a place in my heart. Thank you for proving a point so eloquently. I frequently say things like "I'm so starving I could eat a whole cow!".....but now I know different thanks to this post. Beautiful post. xoxo

Natali Puga said...

No one better be rolling their eyes this!
Such a serious and sad situation.
I think it's amazing that you made a trip over there, definitely on my to do list.
On a lighter note, thanks for stopping by!
You have such a sweet blog.

Bonnie Rose said...

I really was touched by your story. I also wanted to say I really like your blog posts, and there are quite a few I wanted to comment one. I grew up not liking the word 'retarted' when people use it a derogatory term. My Mum had a brother who was mentally challenged and it stemmed from her dislike of the word. I really like seeing your photos and stories from Ghana. xx

Hilary said...

This is fantastic. I say that all the time and never even thought about it before. I'm your newest follower!!

Hilary
theyoungandthenaive.blogspot.com

Lost&Found said...

Wow! This is so sad. Thank you for posting about it. It is true, whenever I say I am starving, I am definitely just hungry. I never realized the consequence of my words until now. Great post!

I am new to your blog! Can't wait to read more.

-bailey
http://lostandfound-bailee.blogspot.com/