I don't know what it is about lemon desserts...
but for some reason, we have an incredible relationship.
Even though I am addicted to chocolate, I often pick a fruity dessert over something super sweet. I see that cute little fruit tart sitting there and I just have to indulge...then again I see that cute little chocolate sitting there and I have to indulge, too. Basically, what I'm getting at here is - I like food.
So, with a few lemons left over from my trip home, I knew that when I stumbled across a recipe for lemon zucchini bread...I had to make it!
Lemon Zucchini Bread with Lemon Glaze - recipe by Nancy Creative
Ingredients for bread:
- 9x5 bread pan
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil (I didn't have any - I used vegetable oil)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (I didn't have any - I used 1/2 tbsp vinegar & 1/2 cup 1% milk)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 grated zucchini (should be around 1 cup)
Ingredients for glaze:
- Juice of 1 lemon*
- 1 cup powdered sugar
(*my glaze turned out too liquidy, I'd recommend half the juice of a lemon instead of the full lemon)
Directions for bread:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9×5″ loaf pan; set aside.
2. In large bowl, blend flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
3. In medium bowl, beat 2 eggs well, then add canola oil and sugar, and
blend well. Then add the buttermilk, lemon juice, and lemon zest and
blend everything well. Fold in zucchini and stir until evenly
distributed in mixture.
4. Add this mixture to the dry ingredients in the large bowl and blend everything together, but don’t overmix.
5. Pour batter into prepared 9×5″ loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees for
45 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean (if
your oven tends to run hot, check the loaf after 40 minutes; also, if
you make this in an 8×4″ loaf pan, your baking time may be a little
longer…about 5 to 10 minutes more). Cool in pan 10 minutes, then remove
to a wire rack and cool completely. While loaf is cooling, you can make
Directions for Lemon Glaze:
In small bowl, mix powdered sugar and lemon juice until well blended. Spoon glaze over cooled loaf. Let glaze set, then serve.